The Journey Begins

The 40 hour travel day was worth it!  And we’ve only been here 2 days.

Often times blogging equals journaling and the posts from this journey will definitely serve that purpose.  I want to look back when I’m 80 and be able to remember this trip of a lifetime.  Join me as you like, and of course, feel free to comment, too.

The first leg of the trip had me leaving my home in Radford and driving to Roanoke at 4am.  A four hour layover at Dulles Airport outside of Washington, DC gave me the opportunity to enjoy the scenery and an airport bar / restaurant.

The five hour flight to San Franciso was uneventful, and soon I was having a joyful reunion with Alys.

We were both so impressed with Air New Zealand.   The plane was enourmous and new, the service from the flight attendants was wonderful, and the food and ammenities kept us occupied during that 12 hour journey.  We loved being able to order wine and snacks and play games using the touchscreen right in front of us.


Yes, sleep was a bit elusive, but all in all, it wasn’t bad.  There was one glitch, though. The plane had an air conditioning malfunction which led to a delay out of San Francisco.  We knew that making our connection would be a challenge and we practically ran through the Auckland airport trying to make our next flight.  Unfortunately, the Customs folks were concerned about dog treats and the possibility of fruit being brought into the country, and ultimately we missed our plane.

Always one to find the upside to a negative, the wait for the next flight gave me the opportunity to taste my first New Zealand beer.  It may have been 8:30 am local time, but it was 2:30 in the afternoon on the East Coast. Perfect time for a beer!  I ordered the Panhead (because of the motorcycle) but since the keg blew right when I got there, I enjoyed the All Blacks Steinlager, named for THE Rugby team of New Zealand.

After a long day of travel, we were greeted by Pauline and the famous Siddy.  Soon enough, we were seeing Boomdeeadda again, too.

Danella has opened up her home to us, and what a marvelous hostess she is!

Stayed tuned for Day 1 in Dunedin!


15 thoughts on “The Journey Begins

  1. Reblogged this on The Contented Crafter and commented:
    The Blogging Babes reunion is well underway. Allow me to share with you a post put up by the effervescent Laurie who is currently enjoying her first visit to this part of the world. We are posting daily on Facebook if you want to get all the latest news and updates and once we are settled in Wanaka I will have time to put something together too. Until then, enjoy!

  2. What fun! I usually keep up with Pauline when I can so this charting of your special reunion will be compulsive reading for me! You ladies are going to have a ball!

  3. How did it go so fast? LOL! I’ve read backwards the couple that I missed. You had so much farther to travel and still manage a great hello on arrival. I still don’t get how you’re less hours time difference in Virginia than California, but then again, I was in three countries yesterday and several time zones and then it was still Saturday but time was an hour ahead when I finally woke today….so forgive me if I make no sense of it at all, LOL xo K

  4. What fun we had on that flight, eh? You traveled hours longer than I did, yet you kept your cool and managed it all with humor. I can’t wait to travel together again, OR to host you and your honey here in California. xo

Because Boomdee dared me: Lay a little sugar on me :-)

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s